People often ask me this little question that I’m sure as a runner, you’ve been asked the same question as well “Why do I run?”. As annoying as it can be, it is a great question, that I’ll try my best to answer for you in this post. Not everyone understands why one would get excited to go out in the hot sun or the freezing cold or even pouring rain for minutes and even hours to run. I did not quite get it either until I experienced it myself.
- I run for my health. Running helps increase your health. According to researchers, running reduces the risk of heart conditions, helps with lung function, reduces the risk of breast cancer (just to name a few).
- I run for the challenge. I like to push myself. As easy as it is to throw on some running gear and start running, it is equally challenging. It takes time to get a grasp of the sport and feel comfortable. As a runner you always have to overcome new challenges, whether it would be to run longer distance, or run at a faster pace, or even breaking a previous PR. Every run is a challenge and I just love to see how I deal with it. The challenge that comes with running also helps deal better with other challenges that I face in my life: physical, mental, or emotional.
- I run because it makes me happy. The feeling that comes after a run whether short or long is indescribable. I’m sure you’ve heard of the”Runner’s High”. For me it goes beyond the high. Running gives me a sense of accomplishment; a feeling that I can do anything; a feeling that I can conquer the world. Nothing can kill my vibe after I go for a run. The world always seems brighter when I start my day running. Running just puts me in a great mood.
- I run because running is a good form of therapy. When life gets dark or things seem to get me upset or mad, when I can’t seem to think straight, a good run (short or long) always does the trick for me. As my feet hit the pavements and the music plays through my headphones, all my problems fade away. The only important thing at that time is the beauty around me. Who needs therapy when you can run???
- I run to lose weight. Running helps burn extra calories hence is good way to lose weight and feel great!
- I run because I can. God gave me two feet that work very well, why not put them to good use?
You should try it one day. You might get hooked on running just like the rest of us runners. Running is the best form of exercise if you ask me. Lace up and start counting the miles.
What about you, why do you run?